Breathtaking views atop Hanmer Springs’ Conical Hill: A Must Do Walk in Hanmer Springs
Conical Hill Walk, Hanmer Springs
The Conical Hill walk is a steep but short 1 hour return walk giving the best views of Hanmer Springs, the forests and surrounding mountain ranges. While signposts suggest it takes about an hour return, we found this was generous, given it took us just over 20 minutes to reach the top with a 4 year old in tow. The zig zag trail is 550m long and is pretty steep, but given that it is short, I would put it in the easy category.
If you are after a short Hanmer Springs walk, I would choose this one
The trail begins at the end of Conical Hill Road. There are a small set of wooden stairs and a small green sign marking the trail. At the top is a 360 degree shelter, pointing out north, south, east and west. You can see all over the Hanmer Springs Township, and keep your eyes peeled for the bridge you crossed heading into town. If you head out of the shelter and see a shiny metal structure, go and take a look. It points out the names and heights of the mountains in the area. See if you can find the popular walk to Mt Isobel.
The Conical Hill walk is well sheltered in the forest and protected from sun and wind. I must say that summer walks would definitely get hot up this hill, so am glad for a bit of shade.
The main Conical Hill walk also links to other Hanmer walking trails. About half way up, a right turn will link you to the Majuba track, ending out near Pawsons Road.
Other awesome things to do in Hanmer Springs
- Check out our Best Things to do in Hanmer Springs article
- Fairy Door Walk: Short walk for kids (above photo)
- Hanmer Waterfall Walk: 2-3 hour walk to Dog Stream Waterfall
- Forest Amble Walk: Kids can find wooden animal sculptures on this fun short walk
- Mountain Biking in Hanmer Forest: Beginners/Kids to Advanced Trails
- If you are exploring the wider Canterbury area, you may be interested in these Canterbury Walks
- After a longer Hanmer Springs hike, try Mt Isobel for amazing views across the region